Gun grabber running for Holladay City Council

This is a Forum to discuss issues relating to gun control vs. the right to keep and bear arms in the United states and Utah. Please be respectful of everyone's opinions.

Gun grabber running for Holladay City Council

Postby bagpiper » Fri 04 Nov 2011 3:16 pm

Forgive me if this is not the best place for this post. Mods, please move if there is a more appropriate location for such political efforts.

I've just been informed that perpetual gun grabber, Steve Gunn (a more ironic name is hard to find), is running for the Holladay City Council.

I urge a vote AGAINST Mr. Gunn.

While State preemption prevents cities from doing much relative to guns, a known, active gun grabber should never be trusted with the reins of power.

We can spend a lot of valuable and limited time fighting city ordinances that are technically illegal. Gun haters in positions of authority can make it more difficult to get old, now illegal ordinances officially repealed.

City council, like any elected office, can be a stepping stone to additional elected office including legislature or congress. A city councilman has more credibility than typical citizens and becomes that much stronger voice for whatever positions he espouses.

Finally, we can help others see how far outside the mainstream gun grabbing is in Utah by denying known gun grabbers any and all position of elected authority.

Please vote AGAINST Steven H Gunn in the Holladay City Council race.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Re: Gun grabber running for Holladay City Council

Postby UtahJarhead » Fri 04 Nov 2011 4:45 pm

I'm not doubting you, but got any history on him?

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby manithree » Fri 04 Nov 2011 6:38 pm

do a
UtahJarhead wrote:I'm not doubting you, but got any history on him?

Just search for his name on ksl.com. He's their go-to grabber. Or google "steve gunn utah". Lots of um, interesting stuff. He's on the board of the Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah.
It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes.
http://gunfacts.info/
manithree
Sniper

Postby Jeff Johnson » Fri 04 Nov 2011 6:54 pm

bagpiper wrote:...
While State preemption prevents cities from doing much relative to guns, a known, active gun grabber should never be trusted with the reins of power.

I absolutely agree. I consider a candidate's position on gun-control to be the single most important indicator of that candidate's overall position. If a candidate wants only agents of government, whether federal, state or local, to possess and carry firearms, then that tells me the candidate wants government to control my life in general. I will never support a gun-grabber for office.

Steve Gunn is the one go-to guy that the news media always go to here in Utah to get the gun-grabber perspective on any gun-related story. He always blathers nonsense every time. Do a search here on UCC and in Google. You'll find lots of references.
IANAL => I Am Not A Lawyer
NRA Life Member | USSC | CCRKBA | UtahConcealedCarry.com
Jeff Johnson
Site Admin

Postby Daeyel » Fri 04 Nov 2011 8:31 pm

Why not have an open carry event at his campaign event? If he kicks you out of a campaign function for carrying, then that's gonna become newsworthy. If his campaign tries to restrict your access on public property, or city or state property, again, newsworthy and a campaign killer. All are acceptable ways to show the public his anti-gun stance. Reminded of the recent incidents of acceptable use of a firearm in home defense, the public should easily determine that Mr Gunn is NOT compatible with their philosophies.

All he can really do without killing his campaign is be REALLY uncomfortable around you. Get lots and lots of photos with Mr Gunn open carrying your gun(n)! (Kevin, I'm looking at you!)
Last edited by Daeyel on Sat 05 Nov 2011 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby Sam Fidler » Fri 04 Nov 2011 10:09 pm

His opponent is Bob Neslen according to the Holliday elections page: http://www.cityofholladay.com/elections.main.html

By the looks of his primary financial disclosure, he can use all the help you can offer. I suggest we contact him and see what he needs to beat this freedom hating Gunn.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Kevin Jensen » Fri 04 Nov 2011 11:14 pm

Daeyel wrote:All he can really do without killing his campaign is be REALLY uncomfortable around you. Get lots and lots of photos with Mr Gunn open carrying your gun(n)! (Kevin, I'm looking at you!)

I'm on it. ;)
Kevin Jensen
Sniper

Postby bagpiper » Sat 05 Nov 2011 8:57 am

My apologies. I kind of assumed everyone here would recognize the name. I should not have done that.

Steve Gunn is (was?) a board member at the "Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah." This is the Utah branch of the Brady Bunch, though I don't know if the connection is official/legal or just ideological. Gunn has been their most frequent spokesman for several years since his predecessor Bill Nash left the political scene in Utah.

Here is just one reference to Mr. Gunn from the Deseret News. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7053 ... -guns.html

So far as I can tell, there has never been a restriction on private guns proposed that Mr. Gunn doesn't think is '"reasonable" and I believe he and his organization have opposed every pro-RKBA piece of legislation that has been proposed since he came on the scene.

He is an attorney. So in addition to possibly building a resume for legislature or congress, he could also easily run for any of the government attorney positions (city/county attorney, or even State Attorney General) where he would have tremendous authority to cause problems for lawful gun owners and anyone who had reason to use a gun in self-defense.

A donation to his opponent would be helpful, I'm sure. But with election day just two days away, the most useful thing is to do all we can to get the word out to any and all friends and relatives in Holladay that they want to vote against Gunn. Often, people vote name recognition without even remembering why they recognize a name. Gunn has had his name in the media a lot over the last few years so most have probably heard his name even if they don't consciously remember where or why.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby Daeyel » Sat 05 Nov 2011 11:13 am

Charles, it is unfortunate that this came to light so late in the election season. Had we known of this when he filed, we could have had a far greater impact in curtailing Steve's political career. I really hope we do not have to attempt to end a career before he rises to a more damaging position.

It would have been extremely helpful to be able to question him in a public forum on issues such as personal firearm ownership, past firearm usage, and views on firearm use in self defense. Doing these things would have raised public awareness of the kind of man we are putting into office, as well as given his opponent some ammunition to use in his campaign.

I love this site. I really wish we could organize and take things to another level though, as the Ohioans for Concealed Cary group has. They are fully funded, filing lawsuits and engaging in the political process.

Of course, their state has 10 times the population of Utah, however, we ARE the number one carry site in the number one most desired CFP state out there. Surely that means something?

In the past, I have proposed an open carry day in Utah. I still think it is an idea worth looking into - so long as it is clearly carried out, with a clear agenda and organized with leaders and 'talking points' for the media. None of this hijacking a movement, as is happening in Oakland with OWS.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Re: Re: Gun grabber running for Holladay City Council

Postby Snurd » Sat 05 Nov 2011 11:20 am

Daeyel wrote:In the past, I have proposed an open carry day in Utah. I still think it is an idea worth looking into - so long as it is clearly carried out, with a clear agenda and organized with leaders and 'talking points' for the media. None of this hijacking a movement, as is happening in Oakland with OWS.

I'm pretty sure a bunch of people did that in the past. It wasn't really official, but it was done on Independence Day.
Snurd
Posse

Postby pedman » Sat 05 Nov 2011 11:22 am

Steve Gunn is the single most opponent on the Hill every year when the USSC proposes new gun law. My personal worry, if he wins in Holladay he will try to leverage his City Council position up on the hill.

I just wish we had more folks that lived in Holladay on this forum.
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

NRA MEMBER
Utah Shooting Sports Council Board Member
pedman
Marksman

Postby bagpiper » Sat 05 Nov 2011 5:03 pm

Daeyel wrote:Charles, it is unfortunate that this came to light so late in the election season. Had we known of this when he filed, we could have had a far greater impact in curtailing Steve's political career. I really hope we do not have to attempt to end a career before he rises to a more damaging position.

I agree. But it is not too late. A bunch of fliers left on doorknobs in his district before Tuesday morning may have a huge effect.

I recommend not sounding like an attack piece, just factual about his position as a board member of THE Utah organization that wants to take away your right to carry a gun in public for self-defense.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby YoZUpZ » Wed 09 Nov 2011 3:55 pm

Well... this sucks...

Unofficial Election Results (Official results will be released Nov 17):

STEVEN H. GUNN 434 votes 53.51%
ROBERT (BOB) NESLEN 373 votes 45.99%
YoZUpZ
Marksman

Postby hibby76 » Sat 12 Nov 2011 2:39 am

From this article:http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/sltrib/pages/printerfriendly.csp?id=51137797

"What is needed is a revision of our laws to make it clear that no one except law enforcement officers may openly carry firearms within an urban or suburban environment. What is also needed is an absolute prohibition on the open carrying of a firearm on the campus of a college or university." Steven Gunn

The "about the author" section reads: "...He is a member of the board of directors of Gun Violence Prevention Center of Utah, a nonprofit gun control advocacy group. "
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi
hibby76
Marksman

Postby hibby76 » Sat 12 Nov 2011 2:40 am

Case in point....He wrote this article:
http://www.sltrib.com/csp/cms/sites/slt ... d=51137797

Interesting how he calls it the "open-carry loophole". Isn't that like the "free speech loophole" where you can say just about anything you want where ever you want? What about the "equal rights loophole"........

Seriously.......what a clown.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi
hibby76
Marksman

Next

Return to Gun Control Issues in the United States and Utah