Utah Guns Forum banner

Three laws can reduce gun deaths by 90%

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
At least according to this (paywalled) article at the Lancet:

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(15)01026-0/fulltext

I didn't pay to read the article, but Ars reporters might have:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/03/three-laws-could-cut-us-gun-deaths-by-90-study-says/
If the federal government enacted just three gun-control laws-requiring universal background checks for firearms, background checks for ammunition, and firearm identification-gun deaths could fall by as much as 90 percent according to a new study.
Doesn't New York have all 3 of those? I don't recall a 90% reduction in crime or suicide.

Prepare to see the 90% reduction in violence number bandied about liberally. How people like us are opposed to it, etc.

#3 ·
Snurd bet me to it. (,good job Snurd).
Mabey some day the touchy feely do gooders will realize that criminals don't follow the laws. It will be a shock to them I know. These people just don't like liberty I guess.
Until then we have to keep working to keep ours and their freedoms.

Morgan Ingram

#4 ·
Sheesh. While gun-related deaths "may" go down by implementing such restrictive laws -- although I'm not buying it -- if you look at countries like Australia, England, et al, who have, in essence, eradicated guns, folks heck-bent on reeking havoc have just substituted them with other weapons such as beer bottles, kitchen knives, axes, hammers, tire irons, and the list goes on.

Forcing law abiding citizens to have to do things like sprinkle fairy dust on a gun to unlock it or even banning guns completely achieves little in the grand scheme of things. What would help is if we enforced laws already on the books rather than inventing new ones. When you have a convicted felon with a long wrap-sheet caught with 27 illegally acquired guns who is able to plead it down to a misdemeanor with no jail time something is serious wrong with our system.

#5 ·
How about these 3 "laws" instead---

1: Be Respectful
2: Be Respectable
3: Be fun to be with

Admittedly, some may need more specific instruction!

#7 ·
On the one hand, I've about decided they might be right, but not for the reasons they think. If they get UBC, UBC for ammo, and a gun registry, we're only a half-step away from mass confiscation. Which might in a generation or two virtually eliminate gun deaths by supplanting them with other means of murder and suicide.

On the other hand:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...n-control-study-might-be-too-good-to-be-true/

"That's too big -- I don't believe that," said David Hemenway, a professor of health policy at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. "These laws are not that strong. I would just be flabbergasted; I'd bet the house if you did [implement] these laws, if you had these three laws and enforced them really well and reduced gun deaths by 10 percent, you'd be ecstatic."

"Briefly, this is not a credible study and no cause and effect inferences should be made from it," Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy & Research wrote in an e-mail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.