Change in Utah law coming?

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Change in Utah law coming?

Postby lilguy » Tue 01 Mar 2011 1:36 pm

I live in Illinois and just took the Utah/Florida training course, It's BIG business here. I called BCI and asked about the change coming that requires a non resident to possess a carry license from their home state before they can get one from Utah. If true this would make getting a Utah permit mute because Illinois does not issue any such thing. They inferred that
Illinois residents will not be able to apply or renew after 1/1/2012 if the Governor signs it. It passed both houses unanimously and will go into effect May 11th even without his signature. Is this true? Thanks
lilguy
Novice

Re: Change in Utah law coming?

Postby Crash » Tue 01 Mar 2011 1:44 pm

lilguy wrote:I live in Illinois and just took the Utah/Florida training course, It's BIG business here. I called BCI and asked about the change coming that requires a non resident to possess a carry license from their home state before they can get one from Utah. If true this would make getting a Utah permit mute because Illinois does not issue any such thing. They inferred that
Illinois residents will not be able to apply or renew after 1/1/2012 if the Governor signs it. It passed both houses unanimously and will go into effect May 11th even without his signature. Is this true? Thanks

Not quite. I haven't read the latest iteration of the bill, but the plan as it was proposed was that this would ONLY impact the residents of states that recognized Utah's permit. Since Illinois doesn't recognize the Utah permit, this wouldn't be a problem for you. It protects other state's revenue streams so that their residence don't go out and get the easier/cheaper permit instead of their own. This, in turn, keeps other states from rejecting the Utah permit. That is the theory. Since Illinois doesn't even issue a permit, it isn't of concern, so it was written to be excluded from the law. I think the person at BCI was misinformed, or there has been a change in the bill that I'm not aware of. I think it is the former.
Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby lilguy » Tue 01 Mar 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks Crash, I have not found the revision posted anywhere. I hope that is the case. I called the instructor and he was not sure because Utah has not and will not send out a notice until the law goes into effect. I'll apply for both and see what happens. Utah good for 5 years and Florida good for 7 at this point.
lilguy
Novice

Postby lmj301 » Tue 01 Mar 2011 2:18 pm

just to be clear, the home state must recipricate with UT.

a simple "yup, UT issues concealed weapons permits" isn't the same thing. :lol3:
lmj301
Sharp Shooter

Postby RustyShackleford » Tue 01 Mar 2011 2:31 pm

If you would like to follow this bill, check here.

http://le.utah.gov/~2011/htmdoc/sbillhtm/sb0036s01.htm
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby Crash » Tue 01 Mar 2011 2:44 pm

lmj301 wrote:just to be clear, the home state must recipricate with UT.

a simple "yup, UT issues concealed weapons permits" isn't the same thing. :lol3:

Thanks for the clarification on my use of the word "recognize". Exactly, they must reciprocate it, not just recognize that we issue it. hahaha.
Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby lilguy » Tue 01 Mar 2011 3:05 pm

"In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that
recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
permit law shall: hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residence"

SOOOOOOOO, I live in a state that does not issue such permits and does not recognize, reciprocate

or look kindly on such activity. I am not a lawyer, will they issue and renew in the future a permit

given to an Illinois resident? :dunno:
lilguy
Novice

Postby Crash » Tue 01 Mar 2011 3:35 pm

lilguy wrote:"In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
firearm permit under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that
recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
permit law shall: hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residence"

SOOOOOOOO, I live in a state that does not issue such permits and does not recognize, reciprocate

or look kindly on such activity. I am not a lawyer, will they issue and renew in the future a permit

Code: Select all
(4) (a) In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed
    permit law shall:
      (i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the
           appropriate permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency that recognizes
           the validity of the Utah permit in that state or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm
           permit law; and
      (ii) submit a photocopy or electronic copy of the nonresident applicant's current
            concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit referred to in Subsection (4)(a)(i).

This section states that those who live in a state that recognizes the validity of the Utah permit or has reciprocity also have the requirement to get a permit from their own state. (4)(a) is the qualifying statement. Since you don't live in one of those states, you don't fit that qualifier, so the restriction or requirements in (4)(a)(i) and (4)(a)(ii) don't apply to you.
Crash...
crashbob.com

I am not a lawyer

Crash
Sharp Shooter

Postby lilguy » Tue 01 Mar 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks Crash, makes sense, I'm sending it in. :thumbsup:
lilguy
Novice

Postby jpm84092 » Wed 09 Mar 2011 4:52 pm

lilguy wrote:Thanks Crash, makes sense, I'm sending it in. :thumbsup:

Crash has given you good information. Since Illinois does not issue permits, and since Illinois does not recognize the Utah permit, there is no requirement for an Illinois CFP (if such a thing existed) to apply for a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit.

Utah will process non-resident permits from citizens of States that recognize the Utah permit through the beginning of May. Utah will quit renewing Utah permits from Citizens who live in other States, unless the copy of the home state permit is sent with the application.

For more information, see link below:

http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/docume ... 022311.pdf

To read the full text of the new law, click the link found embedded in the document above.

This law has passed both houses of the Utah Legislature. It was driven by pressure from Texas. About 1/4 of all out-of-state Utah permits are issued to Texans who, because of back child support or other nonsensical Texas requirements qualify for a Utah permit, but they cannot get one in their own home state.

Jim (Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor)
Concealed Firearm Permits: Utah (resident), Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Pennsylvania
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, PPITH - - NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
State of Utah BCI Certified Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
Sheepdog by nature
jpm84092
Novice

Postby gravedancer » Mon 21 Mar 2011 5:03 pm

lilguy wrote:"In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed

Yes, but the permit wouldnt be valid in illinois, so if youre trying to get the utah permit as a way to get around your state not issuing them, that wont work for you. You would be able to get one and legally carry in any of the states in which Utah's permit is valid though.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Return to Concealed Carry