Ruger LC9 Range Review

Write reviews about the weapons you own. If a person has already written a review, add your own observations. This is an opportunity to help others in their buying decisions.

Ruger LC9 Range Review

Postby steelhawk » Mon 05 Sep 2011 5:39 pm

I am enjoying my new Ruger LC9, which is good considering I had to wait nearly two months to get one, and then about three weeks before I could shoot it. I took it to the range Saturday for the second time. There were some differences between the two visits.

My first experience with the gun was enjoyable, although I immediately noticed the long trigger pull, which took some getting used to. Being a smaller gun, it felt a little more snappy than my M&P 9c, but manageable.

Disassembly for cleaning was a little difficult. I had some trouble removing the take-down pin and putting it back in.

The second range visit was similar, but the trigger seemed to have smoothed out from the last time. I was able to get used to the trigger pull very easily and found the gun to be fun to shoot.

So far, I have put about 100 rounds downrange through this gun with no problems whatsoever. I used both FMJ and hollow points and it ate them all.

Disassembly for cleaning was much easier this time as well. That take-down pin just popped right out and I took the gun apart with no problems.

The gun was more accurate than I expected, with my 7 yard groups essentially the same as my larger 9c.I am quite happy with this little gun and will carry it regularly, when I get a second mag for it, which seems to be backordered.

Target from the second firing is shown below. I flinched a bit on two of the shots.

Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: [email protected]

America is about to be restored!

Are you part of the Inn crowd or one of the Stable few?
steelhawk
Expert Marksman

Re: Ruger LC9 Range Review

Postby GlockMiguel » Mon 05 Sep 2011 7:38 pm

I actually just bought the Ruger LC9 for my wife on Saturday and we took it out today over by Utah Lake. She loved it, I noticed the trigger pull was definitely something to get used to but personally I like that there is the option of having a manual safety. She put about 150 rounds of Federal FMJ through it and not one malfunction. I was very impressed by it, plus she is really excited now that she has her own gun! I recommend it!
GlockMiguel
Novice

Postby YoZUpZ » Fri 09 Sep 2011 7:33 am

The LC9 is a great little gun. I've rented one a couple of times and love it. Its a bit bigger than my LCP, but still fits just fine in most of my pockets. It is a lot easier to shoot quick and accurately than the LCP plus the fact that it holds an extra round and shoots 9mm is great :mrgreen:

The only thing that I don't like about it is the manual safety. Thats one more thing to have to worry about in a defensive situation that I would rather not have to worry about, especially since none of my other handguns have manual safeties. That is the one thing that is holding me up from purchasing one right now.
YoZUpZ
Marksman

Postby steelhawk » Mon 12 Sep 2011 1:24 pm

I just leave mine off. So far it has stayed that way. If I find that it has somehow switched to "on", I will have to do something.
Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: [email protected]

America is about to be restored!

Are you part of the Inn crowd or one of the Stable few?
steelhawk
Expert Marksman

Postby stubby » Mon 12 Sep 2011 3:31 pm

Just shot my LC9 for the first time today the double action takes some getting used to but all in all I think it will be a good motorcycle carry gun. I can hit what I aim at to 7-10 yrds and that what counts.
Was not as good as my XD's but then did not expect it to be. I might look at different sights in the future my eyes are getting old.
stubby
Novice

Postby gravedancer » Mon 14 Jul 2014 1:16 pm

I just picked up an LC9 the other day. I was looking for something smaller and easier to conceal than the full size .40 ive carried for the past few years, and since I wanted a manual safety, it limited my selection quite a bit. So far I like the look and feel, but I'll know more after I spend some quality time at the range this weekend.
http://bit.ly/2vHUiug will get you around the auto filtering of the domain on this site
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby Iwap_Evile » Thu 31 Jul 2014 4:35 pm

Ruger is just releasing a new LC9 model the LC9s which is a striker fired LC9 with out the super ling trigger pull. They also got rid of the loaded chamber indicator
Iwap_Evile
Novice

Return to Firearms Reviews