Utah Guns Forum banner

Ammo storage limits?

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  FrankenHollow 
#1 ·
Had a discussion with a co-worker about guns. He knows his stuff in some areas, blatantly clueless in others - just like all the rest of us.

One thing he mentioned that concerned me, because it is an area I know nothing about, was his claim that Utah state law limits residences to 25,000 rounds total, in any caliber, cumulative. I sincerely hope this is not the case, as my long term ammo plans run to some 40-50K rounds.

I had a supervisor who claimed to have ~500K rounds at his home, along with dozens of firearms. :shock:

Can anyone shed light on this?

#3 ·
gskip33 said:
I've heard of limits on black powder and reloading powder stuff, but never on ammo.
I dunno.
I think many jurisdictions would consider ammo (as well as powder, primers, etc) "Hazardous materials" and as such there may be regulations limiting the amount that you can store OR transport. Some states have a 25lb limit on how much you can transport at a time, for example.

I havent found anything in the utah code with a storage or transportation limit... all I found was something I wasnt aware of... which is that its a class B misdemeanor to store/transport gunpowder in any container which isnt clearly marked.

76-10-302. Marking of containers of explosives before transportation or storage.
Every person who knowingly leaves with or delivers to another, or to any express or railway company or other common carrier, or to any warehouse or storehouse, any package containing nitroglycerin, dynamite, guncotton, gunpowder, or other highly explosive compound, or any benzine, gasoline, phosphorus, or other highly inflammable substance, or any vitriol, sulphuric, nitric, carbolic, muriatic, or other dangerous acid, chemical or compound, to be handled, stored, shipped, or transported, without plainly marking and indicating on such package the name and nature of the contents thereof, is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

Also found this on BCI's website, but no code to back it up:

It is unlawful, and a misdemeanor, when prohibited by local ordinance or law, to make or keep gunpowder, nitroglycerin or other highly explosive substances within a city or town, or to carry such substances through the streets.

** edit.. a keyword search for "gunpowder" in utah code only reveals the previously mentioned 76-10-302, and this notation that the state MAY regulate storage..

10-8-56. Storage of combustibles and explosives -- Use of lights -- Bonfires.
They may regulate or prevent the storage of gunpowder, tar, pitch, resin, coal, oil, gas, gasoline, benzine, turpentine, nitroglycerine, petroleum or any of the products thereof, and other combustible or explosive substances or materials, and the use of lights in stables, shops and other places, and the building of bonfires.

#5 ·
I know fire codes place limits on smokeless powder and primer storage.
Jurisdictions and code usage vary but your local fire marshal will have something to say.
Some use the Uniform Fire Code other use the International Fire Code
International Fire Code
http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ifc/2012/icod_ifc_2012_56_sec006.htm

Group R = residential
5606.4 Storage in Group R occupancies.
The storage of small arms ammunition components in Group R occupancies shall comply with Sections 5606.4.1 through 5606.4.3.

5606.4.1 Black powder.
Black powder for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 pounds (9 kg) shall be stored in original containers in occupancies limited to Group R-3. Quantities exceeding 20 pounds (9 kg) shall not be stored in any Group R occupancy.
5606.4.2 Smokeless propellants.
Smokeless propellants for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 pounds (9 kg) shall be stored in original containers in occupancies limited to Group R-3. Smokeless propellants in quantities exceeding 20 pounds (9 kg) but not exceeding 50 pounds (23 kg) and kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls of at least 1 inch (25 mm) nominal thickness shall be allowed to be stored in occupancies limited to Group R-3. Quantities exceeding these amounts shall not be stored in any Group R occupancy.
5606.4.3 Small arms primers.
Not more than 10,000 small arms primers shall be stored in occupancies limited to Group R-3.

#7 ·
I was under the impression that the limit was how much the floor would support...and I've been bracing the ammo closet with that in mind. Well, okay, that part was a joke, the ammo closet is over a load bearing beam in the basement, it will hold whatever will fit. Now I have to research? Bah.

Mel

#8 ·
gravedancer said:
Looks like there may be Federal limits on both transport and storage. Trying to verify that the limits are still in effect since it was an old notation I found.
There are no Federal storage limits for residential property. The closest you'll get to storage limits are recommendations.
Codified residential storage limits are handled at the state level, and down.

Fire code and 'hazardous materials' regulations are where you want to look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.