How to handle an "Active Shooter(s)" incident on a range?

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

What is the best way to handle an "Active Shooter(s)" on a range?

Don't go to a range that doesn't have an "Active Shooter(s)" policy plainly posted.
No votes
It would depend on the size of the range and whether it was an indoor or outdoor range.
7%
Immediately call 911 and report an "Active Shooter(s)."
3%
Immediately engage the "Active Shooter(s)" and start shooting back at them.
28%
Immediately call 911 and report an "Active Shooter(s)" then engage and return fire.
No votes
Take cover and wait for their ammo to run out or for them to attempt to reload and then let them have it with what firearm(s) you have.
3%
Take cover and/or attempt to flee with cover between you and the "Active Shooter(s), calling 911 en route or once you are clear."
21%
Lay down your guns and try to negotiate with the "Active Shooter(s)."
No votes
I don't think an "Active Shooter(s)" would target a range, due to it being a slightly less than hard target.
38%

Total votes : 29

How to handle an "Active Shooter(s)" incident on a range?

Postby dewittdj » Thu 03 Dec 2015 8:51 pm

Are ranges possible targets that "Active Shooter(s)" would engage?

Is there a defensive or offensive protocol that would serve both indoor and outdoor ranges in the event of an "Active Shooter(s)" during an open range session?

Is it only a matter of time before a terrorist(s) targets hardened targets or will they only continue to attack soft targets? Don't forget the USS Cole!
Save $10-1yr: new or renewal:
3yr-$70, 5yr-$100, Life-$750
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?campaignid=XI028543
dewittdj
Top Shot

Re: How to handle an "Active Shooter(s)" incident on a range

Postby UtahCFP » Thu 03 Dec 2015 9:04 pm

Why is an active shooter at a range different than an active shooter at Walmart, the city park, a school, or anywhere else? Bad guy with gun trying to kill good guys.

I suppose choosing a shooting range increases the odds of being countered quickly -- perhaps a better location for a person to commit suicide by someone else's hand. Sort of like being an active shooter at a police station.
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby AlanM » Fri 04 Dec 2015 2:16 am

dewittdj wrote:Are ranges possible targets that "Active Shooter(s)" would engage?

Is there a defensive or offensive protocol that would serve both indoor and outdoor ranges in the event of an "Active Shooter(s)" during an open range session?

Is it only a matter of time before a terrorist(s) targets hardened targets or will they only continue to attack soft targets? Don't forget the USS Cole!

The USS Cole was not a "hard target".
Modern US Navy ships are not really prepared for close in combat such as a small boat full of explosives coming alongside and detonating. I was stationed on a FFG much like the Cole and it was quite well known by the crew that a small boat with a 50 cal machine gun could probably disable our ship. Except for a few small arms that were always kept locked up we had absolutely no way to repel boarders or fire upon a surface target inside a certain range. We had one 5" gun forward of the superstructure and nothing aft. It isn't possible to depress the barrel of a 5" mount enough to fire upon a really close target and I wouldn't trust the firecontrol computer to be able to calculate a lob shot. (Shooting nearly straight up and hoping the shell came down on a near target and not you.)

Even in ports where there was danger of being attacked by "insurgents" we relied upon the host country's military to guard us. (Happened while in South America)
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
AlanM
Sharp Shooter

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 04 Dec 2015 1:01 pm

That's an interesting question and one I've run through my mind as a potential encounter and one I watch for while at any range, regardless of it being indoors or outdoors.

On the one hand there are usually many people at a range with firearms so the chance of an active shooter surviving such an encounter is slim-to-none. However, during live-fire, folks are usually so focused on their targets and/or reloading I doubt many perform after-action drills and/or frequently scan their surroundings. That being the case, if an active shooter were to monitor for the latter -- and had a death wish -- then a range may be an attractive target due to the publicity it would generate.

Just as we do any time we go anywhere, we should always maintain our situational awareness level at yellow (you remain relaxed, but are aware of who and what is around you including behind you) so as to monitor for just this kind of event.

I guess my response to Dave's list of options is that it would depend on the situation and circumstances and a response may vary accordingly. That's why training for multiple scenarios to help build muscle memory is so important so as to act appropriately if a situation like this ever played out, heaven forbid.

EDITED 12/04/2015
Added this link to: Cooper’s Colors: A Simple System For Situational Awareness
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Sat 05 Dec 2015 2:21 pm

To give you an idea of how Soft a target the Cole was, the perps took a couple tries to get it right. Their first try they overloaded their boat with explosives and it sank. So they tried again, this time they were able to drive their boat right up beside the Cole without being challenged. The Cole was not a hard target, A .50 cal really wouldn't disable one, but it wouldn't take much more. That's one of the saddest things about the day they retired the Missouri and her sisters. Those were the last ships in the navy with any chance of surviving a hit in the modern missile battle paradigm. But they were designed to slug it out with similar ships for hours if needed. Today's ships just try to not get hit or that's it.

That rather off topic bit aside. The poll is missing an option. "Don't go to Shooting ranges, we have plenty of open space in this great state. (Just clean up after yourself and the idiots before you.)
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby RustyShackleford » Sun 06 Dec 2015 7:41 am

There are patterns to Active Shooters: Most will go to gun-free zones in order to get the largest body count possible (if that is their goal) before someone with another weapon (Gun) intervenes...or as with almost all mass shootings, runs out of targets or ammo before the cops show up.

But let us not forget that these types of shooters are all unbalanced and yes, some have started shooting at non-gun free zones but have been stopped. Their (planned) mass shooting did not materialize, and did not make it to national news...(catch 22)

So there could a be nut-job show up at a gun range and start shooting, so as with anywhere else he/she (or both now) should be taken out. Most killers at gun ranges have only gone there to take their own life.(still very sad)
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Postby MarshallDodge » Mon 07 Dec 2015 8:01 am

UtahCFP wrote:Why is an active shooter at a range different than an active shooter at Walmart, the city park, a school, or anywhere else? Bad guy with gun trying to kill good guys.

I agree. At least at a shooting range you have lots of good guys with guns that can counter the bad guys.
Kirk
-Seconds count, misses don't-
"The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck
MarshallDodge
Sniper

Postby Walther » Tue 08 Dec 2015 2:21 pm

I would agree that it wouldn't be likely, however it does happen:

On February 2, 2013, Chris Kyle and his friend, Chad Littlefield, age 35, were shot and killed by Eddie Ray Routh at the Rough Creek Ranch-Lodge-Resort shooting range in Erath County, Texas
Q. Do guns make you nervous?
A. Guns have their uses, it's idiots with guns that make me nervous.
Walther
Marksman

Postby RustyShackleford » Wed 09 Dec 2015 4:47 am

I would not doubt as we consider this.... that there is some anti-gun nut that would use a shooting range as a target to bring about another speech from The Left, anti-Gun crowd. When you are dealing with the unbalanced, anything is possible.
If you consider yourself an American, and are not yet on a government watchlist...You're Not Trying.
RustyShackleford
Sniper

Return to Guns in the News