Concealed Carry?? Start Here!

Learn of places to obtain training. Carrying concealed is not enough. You must know how to use it. Ask questions about strategy and the best way to handle situations. CFP Instructors: Please feel free to post your contact information here so people can sign up for your courses.

Concealed Carry?? Start Here!

Postby NHS » Sat 15 Dec 2007 4:13 pm

I know I am new here, and I am still trying to get familiar with the place. However, I have a couple of questions and a suggestion. I came here because I want to get my CFP permit. As a newbie, I am confused on the process. I know my questions are probably answered somewhere buried in this forum. It might be helpful for someone to create a sticky that always stays at the top of the list that contains basic information about the process of obtaining a CFP permit. I have questions such as how much does it cost? How long does it take? What are the basic requirements? How much training is involved? Where are the classes held? Who can be a trainer? What forms have to be filled out? Etc. Thank you for your warm welcome and responses.

NHS
Last edited by NHS on Mon 17 Dec 2007 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
NHS
Novice

Re: Where to start?

Postby apollosmith » Sat 15 Dec 2007 4:45 pm

NHS wrote:It might be helpful for someone to create a sticky that always stays at the top of the list that contains basic information about the process of obtaining a CC permit.

Excellent recommendation

I have questions such as how much does it cost?

Most of your questions are answered at http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/CFPHome.html

The cost is $65.25. You must also provide a finger print card. Most police stations provide fingerprinting services for around $10. BCI will do this for $13.

How long does it take?

Varies based on demand. Right now, they seem to be coming back in a month or so.

What are the basic requirements?

Take the course, pay the money and submit the application, pass the criminal background check, and that's about it.

How much training is involved?

The CFP courses are usually 3 or 4 hours. No shooting is required, though some courses offer or require it. Be sure to have your instructor sign your application. Courses are usually around $20 or so. Mine was free at Cabelas because I work at a state university.

Where are the classes held?

All over the place. You can even pay instructors to do the class in your home. Contact your local gun store, gun club, or many of the instructors on here (check the Training section) for details.

Who can be a trainer?

Trainers have to be certified by the state. Instructions are on the BCI site.

What forms have to be filled out?

Just the new applicant form at http://bci.utah.gov/CFP/ccwapp.pdf
You have to include payment or credit card number, the finger print card, a copy of your drivers license, a passport type photo (take your own and have it taken and printed at Walmart, Kinkos, etc.), and the signature and stamp of your CFP course instructor.

It's really a very easy process.
apollosmith
Sniper

Postby NHS » Sat 15 Dec 2007 8:06 pm

Thank you apollosmith!!! Great info!
NHS
Novice

Postby tapehoser » Sat 15 Dec 2007 8:32 pm

W. Clark Aposhian will give the course for $50 which includes a packet that, by the end of the course, is ready to be put into the mailbox for the CFP application. It includes all the fingerprinting, passport photo, etc.
tapehoser
Posse

Postby Mazellan » Sat 15 Dec 2007 9:25 pm

Gunnies down in Orem has a class on certain days of the month. I can't remember what those days are but you can contact them and ask. Here is their link: http://www.gunnies.com/

They charge $50 and have everything done but getting the form notarized.

The class includes the picture and fingerprints.
Mazellan
Expert Marksman

Postby xmirage2kx » Mon 17 Dec 2007 8:10 am

Thought I should post a link to gun laws for Utah in here too.

LINKY

The big ones are:
76-10-500
76-10-501
76-10-502
76-10-505
76-10-530
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
-Gerald Ford

I am NOT a lawyer. You and only you are responsible for verifying anything I have posted or implied
xmirage2kx
Sniper

Postby Strategic Tactical » Mon 17 Dec 2007 9:55 am

Our group will come to your location for groups of 5 or more. The State has sent out in their news letter that the CFP class MUST be at least 4 hours now. Please feel free to contact us with any questions. Also, we do have a class this thursday in Midvale if that helps ya at all. Be safe.
Chris
Director of Training
Strategic Tactical Group LLC
Certified instructor for Utah CFP, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, ASP and Camlock Baton, MACE
Glock, AR-15 and Mossberg Armorer
http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com
http://www.stginvestigations.com
Strategic Tactical
Sniper

Re: Concealed Carry?? Start Here!

Postby scott.pete06 » Wed 25 Jun 2008 10:34 am

check out utahcarry.com I didn't take the class from them, but they hosted a class for my group concealed carry of utah. ( http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22252024777 ) I thought they did a great job. They do everything for you, fingerprints, photo and even drop off the forums for you at b.c.i. for $50. if you have 5 or more people they will even come to your house for free.
Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee
scott.pete06
Expert Marksman

Postby UtahCFP » Sun 29 Jun 2008 12:25 am

Hey NHS, did you ever get the permit? I just dragged my Web site into the 21st century kicking and screaming. See www.utahcfp.biz for the info on the class I teach, if you are still in the hunt and live in Utah valley or SLC valley.
Dr. Dave ([email protected])
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby CarryUtah.com » Sat 08 Nov 2008 5:17 pm

You can find classes in Utah and SLC counties at http://www.carryutah.com They have a group of 3 instructors that all teach a high quality class. You will find that the cost is going to be comparable anywhere you go. The most important thing is to get high quality instruction.

Jacob Paulsen
CCW Instructor
810-494-3672
Jacob Paulsen
Utah State Certified Concealed Carry Instructor. NRA Instructor
http://www.carryutah.com
CarryUtah.com
Novice

Postby Jon » Thu 09 Apr 2009 2:10 pm

I took the class at rangemasters just south of Provo and I really enjoyed it there. I mailed my application at the end of January and it took a month before they even opened it and charged me so I would recommend just hand delivering it if possible it will save you about a month of waiting.
Jon
Marksman

Postby daleyplanet » Fri 08 May 2009 8:38 pm

I took my class at FBMG, they were great and if you are a student or military the course is free. They also will do fingerprinting, passport photo, notary, and hand deliver for $5 each and the BCI fee of course. I thought it was a great class.
daleyplanet
Novice

Postby NHS » Thu 04 Jun 2009 3:46 pm

UtahCFP wrote:Hey NHS, did you ever get the permit? I just dragged my Web site into the 21st century kicking and screaming. See http://www.utahcfp.biz for the info on the class I teach, if you are still in the hunt and live in Utah valley or SLC valley.

I guess I can answer you a year later. Yes I did get my permit. I have had it for over a year now.
NHS
Novice

Postby glocklife » Mon 22 Jun 2009 10:43 am

I’m going nuts. I mailed my appellation on March 14th, the check was cashed on April 3rd. I have e-mailed the BCI and they have tolled me it can take up to 120 days. It has been 79 days and still no permit. We all know the law is 60 days but come on.
glocklife

Postby kkindles » Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:46 am

I submitted my app in person at the BCI office, and paid cash on May 19th. I rec'd my permit on Aug 14th. Date on the permit is Aug 10th. umm, 85 days?

Pretty clear BCI is not in compliance.
-kkindles
kkindles
Novice

Next

Return to Training Center